It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:44 am

lypo c disappointment 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post lypo c disappointment
I am disappointed with lypo c. I think I feel better and have more energy with supplementing AA powder throughout the day

Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:08 pm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Re: lypo c disappointment
NiacinVC wrote:
I am disappointed with lypo c. I think I feel better and have more energy with supplementing AA powder throughout the day

I don't see any reason to take lypo C daily (see Figure 1 in Hickey's paper). Its main advantage is to go beyond blood saturation than regular oral one (see Figures 2 and 3 from the same paper), that is, in order to get pharmacological strength like intravenous one. We (my father and I mainly) use it that way with success under infectious disease: first we look for saturation with tablets (from 1g/30' to 1g/5' depending on severity of symptoms) followed with loading up with 6g of lypo-C every 4-6 hours (first time I used the lypo-C for this purpose and only with the first 6g dose I experienced 6 hours of symptoms relieve).

Could be a second advantage that, as it targets the liver first, perhaps it would be preferable in hepatitis cases even to IV? Am I missing something?

Best regards.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:29 am
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

That is really poor study, IMO.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:40 am
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

majkinetor wrote:
That is really poor study, IMO.
Is there any other available about absorption of lypo-C?

Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:30 am
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

"Results indicated that the kidney selectively retains a
minimum plasma level of approximately 70 µM/L; which varies slightly among
subjects. This baseline is protected by ascorbate re-uptake pumps in the kidney, leading
to an excretion half-life of 8-40 days, for low (sub-baseline) levels of vitamin C.[6] "

more interesting

"The results of this preliminary study are consistent with the suggestion that
continuous vitamin C supplementation facilitates increased absorption of large doses."

Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:38 am
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Quote:
Is there any other available about absorption of lypo-C?

Not that I know of.
The study is poor because of:
- N = 2
- People were megadosers for years before it, which means they have different expression of vitamin C receptors and this has nothing to do with washout period.

Nevertheless, givent the lack of funding for this topic its understandable.

Now, I don't expect benefits of liposhperic C to be seen as plasma concentration. Endocitosis means C is injected in cells directly where it can be internalised and only part of it is returned by cells to plasma (unlike the situation with IV where plasma levels are astronomical).

Biopsy or some form of labeling, IMO, would describe the difference better.
At least theoretically, lipo should work much better. This is not lipoisherpic C phenomena. Liposomes as drug delivery vehicles are used generally and can even target tissues if crafted correctly.

But, perhaps there is easier way to boost absorption. Minerals definitely help (Mg, Ca, Na) a lot and low carb low fructose diet, but perhaps something else would be even better; MSM - which is said to boost absorption of all vitamins. I know DMSO is used for that reason anyway and that you can use lower dosages of antibiotics for instance if they are disolved in DMSO

Quote:
The results of this preliminary study are consistent with the suggestion that
continuous vitamin C supplementation facilitates increased absorption of large doses

This is really what I observe in me or people around. IT flies against saturation of receptor and downregulation that is often mentioned as reason against megadosing (apart from idiotic expensive urine hypothesis). I guess once enzymatic machinery that is turned off starts to work with C, organism turn over of C is huge so there is upregulation at the end.

Related to kidney, yes, this info correctly describes two modes of C - 2 weeks half life or so on RDA dose and 30 minutes or so on megadose. SNP of SVCT1 must be accounted for which is regular phenomena in humans, which promotes excretion (in mutated rats up to 18 fold) and might be a reason why some people need much more C.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:56 am
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Quote:
Now, I don't expect benefits of liposhperic C to be seen as plasma concentration. Endocitosis means C is injected in cells directly where it can be internalised and only part of it is returned by cells to plasma (unlike the situation with IV where plasma levels are astronomical).

True, but thing that strikes me is chart #1 > 5 grams AA vs 5 grams lipo and the plasma levels are basically identical.How can this be explained???

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:43 am
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Saw wrote:
Quote:

True, but thing that strikes me is chart #1 > 5 grams AA vs 5 grams lipo and the plasma levels are basically identical.How can this be explained???

I really didnt notice any difference on lypo c other than I wasnt as energized as compared with when I take AA pills/powder

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:49 pm
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Quote:

I just did. More C in tissues and less in plasma. Maybe. Maybe liveonlabs oversells, we don't know for now unless we see some more studies.

Quote:
I really didnt notice any difference on lypo c other than I wasnt as energized as compared with when I take AA pills/powder

The main difference is related to gastrointestinal phenomena. For instance, its conceivable that lipo C will not harm copper status and will not harm intestinal flora (on the other hand it will also not kill pathogens and detox metals). So for people who are C intolerant, lipo is the way to go.
On the other hand, you don't really need to notice it to be effective. This is the stuff that needs to be measured.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:19 pm
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

NiacinVC wrote:

There are quite a few opinions above that I don't have the time to quarrel with, suffice it to say the only scientific studies (outside of the new kiwi gel) that show increases of absorption were by Vinson, et. al. with regard to aloe vera. To claim otherwise, requires at least ONE reference maginketor!

Glad the ordinary vitamin C works for you. The obvious benefit of liposomal products are for the small segment of the population who cannot even tolerate 4 g of vitamin C daily. (low end of Dr. Catchcart's bowel tolerance chart.) In the case of my own father, even though I can tolerate more than 20,000 mg daily, he could not tolerate more than 200 mg daily. He died in his sixties of heart disease, and would probably have lived much longer if a) we had known the vitamin C connection then to heart disease, and b) lipsomal products such as Lypo-C had existed.

So I see Lypo-C for those with lower ordinary C bowel tolerances, and as has already been mentioned quite nicely, as a way to increase blood levels to fight infection. For this purpose, Lypo-C is quite amazing.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:17 am
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Quote:
There are quite a few opinions above that I don't have the time to quarrel with, suffice it to say the only scientific studies (outside of the new kiwi gel) that show increases of absorption were by Vinson, et. al. with regard to aloe vera. To claim otherwise, requires at least ONE reference maginketor!

:?:

Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 am
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Keep in mind that Pauling used Ascorbic Acid not lipo c to reverse heart disease. They are not the same,
as Dr.Levy points out Lipo c is intracellular, while AA is extracellular and he recommends using AA along with your lipo.
It seems to me that we are not even sure that the vitamin c from the liposomes is available in the blood stream.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:09 pm
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

We are sure, since we know something about microbiology. It strikes me as odd that Levy would say something like that. He is most probably misquoted.

Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:12 pm
Vitamin C Master
Vitamin C Master

We are not sure. Theory has nothing on experimental verification. Measurement.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:22 am
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Soo.... in the Hickey's study in which they gave lipo C that huge plasma level came from magic ?

Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:05 am