I thought vitamin C was a cure

This is where the best forum discussions are preserved for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

Horsea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I thought vitamin C was a cure

Post Number:#1  Post by Horsea » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:46 pm

...but it seems that some people are not cured by taking massive doses. Dr. Cathcart said,

"... In 22 years, I, personally, have ingested approximately 361 kilos ( 797 lbs ) ( 4.3 times my body weight ) of ascorbic acid because of chronic allergies and perhaps chronic EBV."

Truly, I don't understand. Why isn't he cured of allergies and possible EBV after so many years? Why this dependency? Doesn't dependency on a huge dose of any vitamin go away eventually after long-term heavy ingestion? That is what I believed, and then I saw this.

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Re: I thought vitamin C was a cure

Post Number:#2  Post by majkinetor » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Because vitamin C is not a magic cure (lets call it personal opinion, to prevent Owen jumping in asking for references). It is a basis chemical body needs, and it needs it all the time, like you need water for example. Just as you can't generally cure stuff with water, but you would die without it, the same goes for C - although not that dramatic.

The level of input depends on your genetics and environment ofc, so that can explain why he wasn't cured. For instance, he might had lower expression of vitamin C receptor, a known phenomena. So, he needed large doses to be effective. Maybe his environment was toxic so lots of C was degraded via detox pahtways. Maybe he didn't start in time - there is certain point in pathology after which disease looks ireversable, you can only threat sympthoms so maybe he was too late. Who knows... whats important is that he was able to live with it, normally.

Horsea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#3  Post by Horsea » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:53 am

Thank you for your thoughts on this, majkin. I would be interested in finding out more about the Vit C receptor, so I am on the hunt for that info and will see what I can scare up.

This whole vit. c business makes me wonder if the stuff in the bible about people being healthy in a garden of Eden without any effort, and then being "kicked out of the garden" might be a metaphor for our loss of ability to synthesize Vit. C. Without being awfully religious, I find such things not outside the realm of possibility. 4,000 years ago, they didn't know about body chemistry. What do you think. :D

Horsea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#4  Post by Horsea » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:01 am

3 minutes later I am back. I did a search for "vitamin C receptor" and this is one of the results:

"Vitamin C

Vitamin C means real Vitamin C.

Ascorbic Acid (Evil Fake Vitamin C) is not, nor every will be Real Vitamin C.

Worse…

Ascorbates (there are many) attache to Vitamin C cell receptors, blocking uptake of Real Vitamin C.

Imagine your cells covered in different locks (receptors) which accept specific keys (like Vitamin C).

Ascorbates keys fit into the Vitamin C receptor/locks, but won’t turn the lock.

As long as Ascorbates are filling the lock holes, no Vitamin C can enter.

Supplements listing Vitamin C, almost always really contain Ascorbic Acid. Almost every packaged food and restaurant dish is full of Ascorbates, because they are cheap preservatives.

Eating Fake Vitamin C is another contributing factor to the Perpetual Blues."

I have read some of the material here on vitamincfoundation forum that debunks the idea that plain ascorbic acid is somehow not the real thing. But then I find the above article! Is there a "final word" someplace?

NiacinVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#5  Post by NiacinVC » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:39 am

Horsea wrote:3 minutes later I am back. I did a search for "vitamin C receptor" and this is one of the results:

"Vitamin C

Vitamin C means real Vitamin C.

Ascorbic Acid (Evil Fake Vitamin C) is not, nor every will be Real Vitamin C.

Worse…

Ascorbates (there are many) attache to Vitamin C cell receptors, blocking uptake of Real Vitamin C.

Imagine your cells covered in different locks (receptors) which accept specific keys (like Vitamin C).

Ascorbates keys fit into the Vitamin C receptor/locks, but won’t turn the lock.

As long as Ascorbates are filling the lock holes, no Vitamin C can enter.

Supplements listing Vitamin C, almost always really contain Ascorbic Acid. Almost every packaged food and restaurant dish is full of Ascorbates, because they are cheap preservatives.

Eating Fake Vitamin C is another contributing factor to the Perpetual Blues."

I have read some of the material here on vitamincfoundation forum that debunks the idea that plain ascorbic acid is somehow not the real thing. But then I find the above article! Is there a "final word" someplace?

Well where is the link or any citing of where this WRONG information came from? Ascorbic Acid is vitamin C, I dont really get how you have been a member on this site since 2010 and still try to claim otherwise?
"When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have"- Steven Hawking

NiacinVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by NiacinVC » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:45 am

Horsea wrote:...but it seems that some people are not cured by taking massive doses. Dr. Cathcart said,

"... In 22 years, I, personally, have ingested approximately 361 kilos ( 797 lbs ) ( 4.3 times my body weight ) of ascorbic acid because of chronic allergies and perhaps chronic EBV."

Truly, I don't understand. Why isn't he cured of allergies and possible EBV after so many years? Why this dependency? Doesn't dependency on a huge dose of any vitamin go away eventually after long-term heavy ingestion? That is what I believed, and then I saw this.

What else did he supplement? How was his diet?
If hes eating a diet high in carbs and glucose then the ascorbic acid is competing for the same spot to park. What was his bowel tolerance? More info is needed before you can make a blanket statement against vc
"When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have"- Steven Hawking

Horsea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#7  Post by Horsea » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:33 pm

Well where is the link or any citing of where this WRONG information came from? Ascorbic Acid is vitamin C, I dont really get how you have been a member on this site since 2010 and still try to claim otherwise?

Please don't get mad at me. I am not the one who is agreeing with the above quote that I found. I want to get at the truth of things for the sake of my own and family's health.

One party says one thing; another party says another. That's all I know. This is where I got the anti-ascorbic acid quote from:

http://www.healthresearchnews.com/chemistry-of-bliss/

But where this person got his info from, he doesn't say, as far as I can see.

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#8  Post by majkinetor » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:58 am

Nonsence. People confuse synergism with 'vitamin complex'. Vitamin C from food is accompanied with bunch of other vitamins unlike synthetic one. That doesn't mean vitamin c receptor is receptor for bunch of chemicals. There is only one thing it accepts - that is Ascorbic Acid. Obviously, natural vitamin C would be better if you could grab it, but you can't since its scarce in most plants. It might be enough for healthy young individual, but not for the one with acute/chronic disease.

The site you mention is highly unscientific and.... retarded. Ascorbic acid is evil vitamin C and contributes to perpetual blues ? Ascorbates keys fit into the Vitamin C receptor/locks, but won’t turn the lock ? Sporadic look in any journal in last 100 years will show that this claim is fiction. Health professor is complete moron, and I don't say this too often, I am pretty open minded.

BTW, I am atheist, so no, I don't believe anything that is in the bible, including perfect health.

Horsea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#9  Post by Horsea » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:08 am

Well, yes, I would like to know where the author of the anti-supplemental Vit C got his ideas.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#10  Post by Dolev » Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:42 am

Horsea,

Please just go and read a few books on vitamin C. There are probably about 20 books written by experts, backed by research and clinical experience.
Dolev

VanCanada

Post Number:#11  Post by VanCanada » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:12 pm

majkinetor wrote:BTW, I am atheist, so no, I don't believe anything that is in the bible, including perfect health.
Are you saying that the veracity of every single line and verse in the Old Testament is mutually exclusive with atheism? Or was your statement just an exaggeration? Thx.

Horsea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#12  Post by Horsea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Dolev wrote:Horsea,

Please just go and read a few books on vitamin C. There are probably about 20 books written by experts, backed by research and clinical experience.

Thanx for your advice. I didn't know that there were entire books on vitamin C. Really! :lol:

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#13  Post by majkinetor » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:30 pm

VanCanada wrote:Are you saying that the veracity of every single line and verse in the Old Testament is mutually exclusive with atheism?

No, I don't say that.
I say that I don't take anything from the big book of super hero stories seriously.

Dolev
quack
quack

Post Number:#14  Post by Dolev » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:28 am

Horsea, here's a partial list of books about vitamin C from my library. There are a few more, so when you're done with these, you can ask for more :P :

You also would enjoy some of the classic articles by Drs. Robert Cathcart and Frederick Klenner, available at http://www.doctoryourself.com

Vitamin C and the Common Cold - Pauling

Vitamin C, Infectious Diseases & Toxins - Levy

Ascorbate: The Science of Vitamin C - Hickey and Roberts

Vitamin C Against Disease - Irwin Stone

Stop America's #1 Killer [Heart Disease and Vitamin C]- Levy

Ridiculous Dietary Allowance: Challenge to the RDA for Vitamin C

Practicing Medicine Without a License - Fonorow

The Heart - Matthias Rath, M.D

Primal Panacea - Thomas Levy, M.D.

Cancer and Vitamin C - Pauling and Cameron

Vitamin C and Cancer - Avram Hoffer
Dolev

Horsea
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#15  Post by Horsea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:00 am

Many thanx for that thorough listing! I first heard about Dr Klenner in an old Adele Davis book when I was a teenager. He sounds like a real miracle-maker with his use of iv Vit C, yet when someone gets serious flu nowadays (not to mention lots of other diseases), to the best of my knowledge, Vit C is not considered.

Return to “Archive”