The vitamin C flatulence thread

This forum will focus on the interesting topic of titrating oral vitamin C intake to so-called bowel tolerance, the point just prior to the onset of diarrhea

Moderator: ofonorow

davea0511
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The vitamin C flatulence thread

Post Number:#1  Post by davea0511 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:08 am

For me, vitamin c flatulence is one of the biggest drawbacks to megadosing (as it seems especially pungent compared to other farts). What do you do? Do you deodorize it, mask it, hide in the bathroom, blame your coworker ... or just proudly throw caution to the breaking-wind and let it fly?

As far as deodorizing I tried something over the last 5 days while doing 40g/day of Vit C that made my gas absolutely odorless (and I was passing gas all day, all 5 days). Here's how:
1) double layer this cheap filter material (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000U204W2/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details) in the shape of the flat-D, see http://flat-d.com (actually I cut the material just a bit larger), and
2) wear layers: first boxers, then the filter mentioned in previous step, then wear 2-3 tight-fitting briefs. I'm thinking one of those "control briefs" might be better, but I think the extra layers keep the gas in the filter material longer.

I tried the flat-D too but this is a lot cheaper and seems to work better for me. If anyone else has remedies then please do tell. Don't be embarrassed to admit it's a problem ... we all pass vitamin C gas (those who megadose at least) and the first step to fixing a problem is admitting it exists.
The ascorbist-greeting:
"Score big, eh eh?", "Is yea.", "Excelente'."

(igpay-atinlay of: "Ascorbic?","Yes.","Excellent.")
Short-form: "Score?", "Score." [knuckle bump]

NiacinVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: The vitamin C flatulence thread

Post Number:#2  Post by NiacinVC » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:25 pm

I got really AWFUL gas 24/7 when I first started for a week but after that week it went away for most part.
"When one's expectations are reduced to zero, one really appreciates everything one does have"- Steven Hawking

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#3  Post by majkinetor » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:58 pm

I determine how to dose Vit C based on the level of flatulence, not diarrhea. So, when I get to the level of more then 3 farts per hour with stomach grumbling, I start to diminish C input.
Bowel tolerance can be very painful if you have hemorrhoids and I don't recommend it to anyone with it.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#4  Post by ofonorow » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:51 am

We have discussed using a form of charcoal to "degass" orally some time ago. e.g. http://www.everydayhealth.com/digestive-health/alternative-therapies-for-gas-pain.aspx

If the problem is persistent and that bad (it probably means that you have some other problem that is being exacerbated such as undigested food in the gut!) I would consider the extra expense of Lypo-C. In my experience is generally without any diarrhea or gas. And one Lypo-C is at least worth 2 gm of ordinary oral C, and probably as much as 5 grams of ordinary vitamin C.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Johnwen
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Post Number:#5  Post by Johnwen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:07 pm

that is being exacerbated such as undigested food in the gut!

I think Owen hit the nail on the head here!
What cause undigested Food? High Ph stomach acid levels (Low Acid Levels)
When you take the V-C you raise the acid concetration of the stomach for a short period of time which cause stagnent materials to start their breakdown which will emit gas as a byproduct parastasyslis moves the whole clump down the tube then, gas and all. Gas moves thru the intestines very rapidly till it reachs the exit.
Some foods that cause high ph levels are Breads, Pastries, Baking soda, Gerd meds,Pasta, Dairy products, Soda, Processed meats etc.
Pay attention when you eat especially when you feel hungry. Note what your eating that causes you to burb either while your eating it or a short time after. Thats what is changing your ph levels in the stomach. What to do? Stop eating that item or drink 6 to 12 oz of pure water with it.
If it appears with everything you eat then you'll have to talk to your doc. He'll probably want to run some tests. Which aren't pleasent or he'll take a shot and write a script.
Yes I take high doses of V-C and No gas is not a problem.
To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is
research!

davea0511
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Post Number:#6  Post by davea0511 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:36 am

Thanks Owen, Johnwen - It would be nice if it was that easy (a simple detox should solve the problem), however for me "undigested food" just doesn't fit as I experience a fairly constant level of gas throughout 3 weeks of megadosing (for example)... Also I have been taking pro-biotics for years, never take antibiotics, and I also do a 24-36hr fast monthly - so undigested food seems unlikely. Also vit C gas is very distinct (not like indigestion gas) and it happens regardless of whether I take 12g at once, or 1g/30min for a full day ... but the level of gas is the same throughout the day in either case.

It's possible that it's a contraindication with the foods I eat, unique to my own physiology, it would be well for me to keep a journal while megadosing to identify such.

Are you saying that you can regularly take any amount without ever getting any gas? I only get it in concentrations of 24g/day or higher. I also get less when I'm sicker (so maybe gas, like low-bowel-tolerance, is a sign of health as majkinetor may having inadvertently suggested). Vit C flatulence very well may be a user-specific condition.

As for the charcocaps ... that's a great idea ... I did not know such things existed. I found them at swansonvitamins.com, 120 for $3.79, which I just added to my "favorites".

I'd do the lypospheric were it not so expensive. Homemade liposomal C is on my list of things to do ... I have yet to pick up a ultrasonic cleaner. Is anyone here doing that ... and I wonder if they have the same reduced side effects like observed with lypospheric.
The ascorbist-greeting:
"Score big, eh eh?", "Is yea.", "Excelente'."

(igpay-atinlay of: "Ascorbic?","Yes.","Excellent.")
Short-form: "Score?", "Score." [knuckle bump]

majkinetor
Vitamin C Expert
Vitamin C Expert

Post Number:#7  Post by majkinetor » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:19 am

My wife has the same problem as you, so it seem person specific. I can only suggest you low carb to see if its going to change anything. If not, I guess you will have to accept it. BTW, I know there are pharmaceuticals that can 'collect' gas, those are even given to babies for colice. Maybe you could learn more about it.

Sacally4
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#8  Post by Sacally4 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:42 am

Johnwen wrote:
that is being exacerbated such as undigested food in the gut!

I think Owen hit the nail on the head here!
What cause undigested Food? High Ph stomach acid levels (Low Acid Levels)
When you take the V-C you raise the acid concetration of the stomach for a short period of time which cause stagnent materials to start their breakdown which will emit gas as a byproduct parastasyslis moves the whole clump down the tube then, gas and all. Gas moves thru the intestines very rapidly till it reachs the exit.
Some foods that cause high ph levels are Breads, Pastries, Baking soda, Gerd meds,Pasta, Dairy products, Soda, Processed meats etc.
Pay attention when you eat especially when you feel hungry. Note what your eating that causes you to burb either while your eating it or a short time after. Thats what is changing your ph levels in the stomach. What to do? Stop eating that item or drink 6 to 12 oz of pure water with it.
If it appears with everything you eat then you'll have to talk to your doc. He'll probably want to run some tests. Which aren't pleasent or he'll take a shot and write a script.
Yes I take high doses of V-C and No gas is not a problem.

Same problem here: started one week ago with vitamin c, currently at 5*7g vitamin c per day (adding 5g each day looking for bowel tolerance). Flatulance is worse than ever. We have to give soya multi fibre through feeding tube, I can't change to other food. My father is bedridden (in coma) at home.

I do read here that stomach acid could be a problem, we give 20mg omeprazol per day.
Am I allowed to suddenly stop omeprazol? I don't know why it was started but we give it since the feeding tube got placed (2 years ago).
If I would ask the doctor they wouldn't agree to stop without even thinking about it. They would just say his bowel is just lazy. But since we started probiotic there's daily bowel movement.

Bowel movement is okay, twice a day. Even stopped miralax since 2 days, we gave it for 2 years non stop. And giving probiotic, 120 million.

Any advice what i could do?

CeeCee101
Contributor
Contributor

Post Number:#9  Post by CeeCee101 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:27 am

Is flatulence always a sign of nearing bowel tolerance? Talking about vit.C in a buffered form here, not ascorbic acid.

(Because if so, I would lower my dosage as someone mentioned here. But not if there are other causes of course.)

Return to “Bowel Tolerance”