Skin became hypersensitive after increased bowel tolerance.

Any adverse effects of replacement vitamin C will be discuseed here. Topics include kidney stones, gall stones, oxidation, etc.
We plan to move good discussions from the General Topics forum here for posterity.

Moderator: ofonorow

nherdboi

Skin became hypersensitive after increased bowel tolerance.

Post Number:#1  Post by nherdboi » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:22 pm

I was wondering if anyone could relate similar experiences...

Last weekend, I started feeling poorly. It was unusual in that I had all the symptoms of a flu (chills, fever, muscle aches, loss of appetite) except for the respiratory symptoms -- absolutely no coughing, sneezing, phlegm, constriction, etc. At the first sign, I titrated to bowel tolerance, which turned out to be just under 15,000 mg/day (my normal bowel tolerance is about 3,000mg).

I saw a rapid improvement and was feeling much better within 48 hours, except for one side effect -- the skin on the front and back of my mid- to lower-torso region has become extremely sensitive to touch. Even while walking around, the friction of my cotton shirt is just below the threshold of calling this sensation pain. This started during my Vitamin C treatment, and has continued for the 3 days that I've been well.

I've done a little research, and it seems two possible causes are side effects of medication (which I'm not taking) or a mild peptic ulcer. I've never had an ulcer, but I was wondering if a huge ascorbic acid dose could possibly trigger an ulcer.

Thanks...

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Interesting

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:11 pm

We can infer that the flu-like symptoms were caused by a rapid depletion in ascorbate, and that what ever caused this depletion was not in the sinus or lungs, or did not increase your histamine levels in these two areas.

Sometimes a mild infection can produce similiar symptoms, but usually there is pain in the area of the infection, e.g. bladder, prostate, etc.

Not certain why your skin would become so tender, but a rash is itself a detoxification reaction.

Keep us informed.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

nherdboi

Yes, it's odd

Post Number:#3  Post by nherdboi » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:49 pm

It's definitely not a rash; my skin looks perfectly normal.

In any case, I scheduled a doctor's appointment for 2 weeks from now, and I hope it clears up before then so I can cancel the appointment!

nherdboi

Update

Post Number:#4  Post by nherdboi » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:49 am

So two days after my last post, a rash DID erupt, but exclusively on the right side of my lower torso. This made my self-diagnosis all too easy, as only one disease presents with this pattern for a rash: shingles! I did go to a doctor, who confirmed this and prescribed an antiviral medication. This, along with continued increased BT amounts of ascorbic acid, has led to my rash finally starting to clear up after 8 days (as opposed to the 2 to 4 weeks when allowed to go untreated).

What's strange, though, is that shingles is supposed to be triggered by a weakened immune system, and I have no reason to believe my immune system was any more stressed just prior to the start of my symptoms. Then again, this link hasn't been proven.

This update also comes with a question: Is it possible that BT levels of serum ascorbic acid could decrease the efficacy of pain medications? I've been taking hydrocordone/acetaminophen alternated with ibuprofen, both at maximum dosages, but they've been largely ineffective during this whole episode.

Return to “Toxicity”