Quercetin

What is vitamin C? Is there such a thing as a vitamin C complex? Why do so many people now believe in the complex?

Moderator: ofonorow

BimLanders

Quercetin

Post Number:#1  Post by BimLanders » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:36 am

I researched natural antihistamines for and discovered quercetin. Recently I hastily purchased a bottle of quercetin in plastic capsule form. I try to avoid ingesting plastic whenever possible. Just for the first dose, I popped the pill, along with my Vitamin C. I noticed that my allergies very mild (and right during prime allergy time for me). I decided, though, that it may be a good idea to open the capsule and pour the contents into water, thus avoiding ingestation of plastic; this I tried today. After just a few sips, I noticed a wave of sensations over most of my face. Since I was about to go out for the evening, I didn't want to have an unexpected reaction and decided not to finish the drinking the dose. Then, something curious happened: my plugged up right ear that has been giving my problems for a couple of years now suddenly started to pop open a little. The feeling was terrific! It did not fully clear up, but you have to remember that this was not a full dose. I also noticed that I could breath easier and my asthma was non-existent.

Since I have never experienced this effect before, so quickly, and all at once, I immediately conisidered that taking the quercetin dose orally in water had a much more powerful and sudden absorbtion into my body. I was somewhat concerned about the intensity of the effect, which cause me to not finish the dose, but I am very optimistic.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Lots to Discuss

Post Number:#2  Post by ofonorow » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:29 am

Interesting observation.

Yes, we've anecdotally found that the drink mixes seem to "act quicker" or are generally better absorbed for some reason. Possibly the quercetin was absorbed through the mucuos membranes in your mouth?

As far as quercetin, author Bill Sardi has a lot of material on its benefits. You might start with http://www.knowledgeofhealth.com/ and search. Others may the exact link
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

zucic

Re: Quercetin

Post Number:#3  Post by zucic » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:34 pm

BimLanders wrote:I decided, though, that it may be a good idea to open the capsule and pour the contents into water, thus avoiding ingestation of plastic; this I tried today. After just a few sips, I noticed a wave of sensations over most of my face.

Ever tryed raw onion? Can you compare these two sensations?

BimLanders

Post Number:#4  Post by BimLanders » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:37 am

I don't eat onions because I fear that I have an allergy to them. I work in a produce department and I refuse to touch onions because twice my skin broke out in sores after handling them. Since I had stoppped working onions, I never had a reoccurence. I never enjoyed the taste of raw onions to begin with, so I tend to avoid. But you make a very good point. Many strong veggies can cause similar sensations, such as raw ginger, or hot peppers. While the quercetin sensation was unlike those from those foods, it still struck me as perfectly natural.

Today I took an entire dose (500mg) in water and I have this observation to report: I took a couple of sips at the start of my dinner, while my stomach was empty (this becomes important later). I noticed a strange effect in my mouth, along with the aforementioned sensation: chewing and swallowing food accompanied a strange texture in my mouth that almost grossed me out, to put it plainly. I then decided to finish the dose after my meal. I note now that drinking the quercetin carried none of the pervious sensations, and the effect seemed less intense and immediate than just a day before. It still "worked" in the sense that my allergies were heavily suppressed, but my ear didn't pop open so much like before, which was a dissapointment.

Could it simply be that taking it on an empty stomach provides different results? I shall try this again tomorrow.

zucic

Post Number:#5  Post by zucic » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:21 pm

BimLanders wrote:I don't eat onions because I fear that I have an allergy to them. I work in a produce department and I refuse to touch onions because twice my skin broke out in sores after handling them.

Maybe it is not about onion (just touching them), maybe you have an issue
with chemical preparations which are used to prevent sprouting and for
other purposes?

BimLanders

Post Number:#6  Post by BimLanders » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:09 pm

zucic wrote:
BimLanders wrote:I don't eat onions because I fear that I have an allergy to them. I work in a produce department and I refuse to touch onions because twice my skin broke out in sores after handling them.

Maybe it is not about onion (just touching them), maybe you have an issue
with chemical preparations which are used to prevent sprouting and for
other purposes?

You make a very good point and now I'm smacking myself in the head for not thinking that before. Do you have any links so that I can research these chemicals used? If not, then I shall investigate later.

-thanks.

zucic

Post Number:#7  Post by zucic » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:58 am

BimLanders wrote:Do you have any links so that I can research these chemicals used?
If not, then I shall investigate later.

I think this is country specific - what is allowed in one country, may be
forbidden elsewhere. There are also illegal practices (usage of
illegal chemicals).

zorba990

Joint pain with Quercetin

Post Number:#8  Post by zorba990 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:35 pm

Hi All,

I have been using Vitamin C topically on skin cancers with some success.

Since reading much about Quercetin and its efficacy against cancer,
I decided to try some orally. Since much of the research of Quercetin focused on
Lipsomal versions, I decided to try Life Enhancement's PEGysomal quercetin.

I started experiencing some joint pain, and chalked it up to overtraining or
the weather or whatever --it was mild. Then I started getting fairly severe pain in
a couple of my fingers -- strange. I happened to be researching more information
on Quercetin, and notcied several threads in google groups (usenet) about joint/finger
pain and Quercetin. I am wondering if anyone has any idea why this occurs and if
there is any way to overcome it. Could it be some kind of common contaminant in
Quercetin? If it an immune system reaction? I vaguely remember something related to
Quercetin and uric acid metabolism but haven't found anything meaningful lately.

Stopping the Q stopped the pain within a few days to a week.

Any ideas?

BimLanders

Post Number:#9  Post by BimLanders » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:19 pm

How long did you take Q before experiencing joint pains? I haven't had any problems, and I worked out with weights yesterday and felt great; my joints felt very good, and my bones. I've been taking Q about four days now... I think. Also, how much was your dose each day? Mine was 500mg.

zucic

Re: Joint pain with Quercetin

Post Number:#10  Post by zucic » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:33 pm

zorba990 wrote:Could it be some kind of common contaminant in
Quercetin? If it an immune system reaction? I vaguely remember something related to
Quercetin and uric acid metabolism but haven't found anything meaningful lately.

Funny, this compound (quercetin) is also significantly present in apples and some other
fruits. It is hard to believe that it causes severe reaction directly. Perhaps it wakes
up the immune system?

BimLanders

Post Number:#11  Post by BimLanders » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:02 pm

Since I've been taking quercetin mixed with water for over a week now, (I've lost track of when I started) I have come to some preliminary conclusions: One: The sensations that accompanied the first dose taken in water have not returned; therefore, it is reasonable to assume that my body has since adjusted to a higher daily intake of quercetin. This would explain way the sensations got gradually less as the days went on. Two: the quercertin is NOT helping my ear problem, as it originally did with the first dose taken with water. I still can't explain why that happened (perhaps the intensity of the sensation?). But it remains a useful antihistamine, and I generally feel better after taking it. I'm not so sure that the quercetin would work very well without a high regimin of Vitamin C throughout the day. :)

PS: no joint pain so far either.

J.Lilinoe

quercetin bromelain vit c

Post Number:#12  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:13 am

For my allergies, I take the Solary Brand with Quercitin, Bromelain and Vit C combined.
It seems that this mixture works better than just Quercitin alone.

BimLanders

Re: quercetin bromelain vit c

Post Number:#13  Post by BimLanders » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:41 am

J.Lilinoe wrote:For my allergies, I take the Solary Brand with Quercitin, Bromelain and Vit C combined.
It seems that this mixture works better than just Quercitin alone.

This would be a good idea, but I'm taking 1000mg of Vitamin C every couple of hours, and my allergies are afraid to show up. Once in a while, I'll sneeze, but that's pretty much it. I've suffered with these allergies all my life, and if it wasn't for the VitaminCfoundation, I'd still be taking OTC drugs for it, and not feeling better. :)

J.Lilinoe

Post Number:#14  Post by J.Lilinoe » Sat Oct 21, 2006 10:57 am

I am glad that you are taking large doses of Vit C.
You might want to try Bromelain too.

ofonorow
Ascorbate Wizard
Ascorbate Wizard

Re: Joint pain with Quercetin

Post Number:#15  Post by ofonorow » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:08 am

zorba990 wrote:Hi All,

I have been using Vitamin C topically on skin cancers with some success.

Since reading much about Quercetin and its efficacy against cancer,
I decided to try some orally. Since much of the research of Quercetin focused on
Lipsomal versions, I decided to try Life Enhancement's PEGysomal quercetin.

I started experiencing some joint pain, and chalked it up to overtraining or
the weather or whatever --it was mild. Then I started getting fairly severe pain in
a couple of my fingers -- strange. I happened to be researching more information
on Quercetin, and notcied several threads in google groups (usenet) about joint/finger
pain and Quercetin. I am wondering if anyone has any idea why this occurs and if
there is any way to overcome it. Could it be some kind of common contaminant in

Stopping the Q stopped the pain within a few days to a week.

Any ideas?

We appreciate the report about topical use on skin cancers - if you could expand in another thread (if you haven't already) we'd appreciate it.

As far as why a liposmal form of quercitin would cause joint pain, it is an interesting question. If your pain did have something to do with "waking the immune system" up, why the fingers and joints? i.e., a gout-like reaction? (Vitamin C does cause rashes, cold sores and other evidence of detoxification when first used in higher amounts, but such symptoms usually subside.)

Your experience can be used for us to discuss what Pauling meant by orthomolecular. Not simply natural ( e.g. the substances on the poison ivy leaf are natural) but necessary for life, but produced for us in plants.

To my knowledge, quercetin is not a vitamin. This molecule is not required for life, and it is only made in plants. It seems to have healthy benefits in humans, as well documented by Sardi and others, but it does not truly fit into Pauling's definition of orthomolecular. (I would not take it daily for that reason, and I would personally reserve its use for cases it is known to benefit. In these cases, we might think of it as a non-toxic "drug".)

The fact that the liposomal version causes pain is a clue that ordinary guercitin may not be fully absorbed. Ordinary quercitin's affect may have to do with combing with something else. With the Lypo-Q - all would be absorbed - and this molecular has to "collect" somewhere. Perhaps it promotes (or acts like_ uric acid, and creates a "gouty arthritis" (a condition that high vitamin C usually eliminates)?

But that is why we have this forum. For discussion and possible debate.
Owen R. Fonorow
HeartCURE.Info
American Scientist's Invention Could Prevent 350,000 Heart Bypass Operations a year

Return to “Ascorbic Acid versus Vitamin C Complex”